Oshimen Quest: Chapter 1
Welcome to Oshimen Quest. Press start to begin the game… Uh oh, sorry, you can’t play the game until you pick an oshimen…WHAT!? I need an oshimen to play? Well… I don’t have one yet… What do I do?
With my quest to finding my oshimen about to begin, I will chronicle my thoughts on my top candidates and hopefully one day figure out who deserves my undying loyalty.
The top 25 candidates are shown in the fantastic logo done by our very own Dae Lee. Here are the top 5 candidates at this point: Sashihara Rino of Team A, Nakagawa Haruka of Team A, Kinoshita Yukiko of Team S, Takayanagi Akane of Team KII, and Watanabe Miyuki of Team N.
The candidates that were close to making my top 5 are, Yamamoto Sayaka of Team N, Yagami Kumi of Team S, and Yokoyama Yui of Team K. Every ranking update is subject to change based on the quality of media appearances, the ability to showcase more of their personality, PVs, performances, content from blog/Google+ posts. The issue with some members like Nakagawa Haruka and Kinoshita Yukiko are that they are not senbatsu members and have little media exposure(Kinoshita was dropped from senbatsu for Kataomoi Finally).
I will do my best to not use the amount of exposure to determine my oshimen but when someone like Sashihara is on TV consistently, I’m afraid that it gives me more information to make my decision more likely in the favor of Sashihara. So, I’ll need input from the New School Kaidan community to tell me, “Go see Nakagawa in this” or “Kinoshita was fantastic here” so I can take a look and base my rankings and my final decision on quality rather than quantity.
Here are my current thoughts on my Top 5:
- Positives-Humorous, Relatable, Great on TV.
- Negatives-terrible at almost anything(charming at times/double edged sword). Excessive media exposure may tire me out.
- Positives-First girl to standout to me just looking at pictures of AKB48 members, athletic, bright, cute voice.
- Negatives-Not enough media exposure. When on TV or other media, does not really stand out in terms of impact on the show.
- Positives-Fun to watch her dance, seems overall likeable and well put together personality-wise.
- Negatives-Not enough media exposure. Seems talented but does not stay in senbatsu consistently.
- Positives-Passionate. Good cook. Athletic. Cute voice.
- Negatives-Pictures of her and her boyfriend from before joining SKE48.
- Positives-Very alluring. Funny airheadedness. Pleasant aura.
- Negatives-Inconsistent senbatsu-wise so far(work ethic? Scandal?) Pictures of her on an apparent double date(?)
Here’s a quick overview of recent news affecting the top 25 candidates for oshimen.
NMB48 performs their new single “Junjou U-19” on “HEY!HEY!HEY!”. Yamamoto Sayaka is at center and Watanabe Miyuki is back in senbatsu. I’m excited to see Watanabe Miyuki back in senbatsu!
SKE48 performs their new single “Kataomoi Finally” on “HEY!HEY!HEY!”.
Takayanagi Akane is featured in a love triangle in the PV.
Kimoto Kanon and Yagami Kumi is shocking many fans with their kiss.
Furukawa Airi back in senbatsu and being featured quite a bit on Matsui Rena’s Google+ posts.
Kinoshita Yukiko dropped from senbatsu. All SKE48 members are creating a positive buzz except for Kinoshita Yukiko.
Sashihara Rino to get her first photobook and her first solo commercial for the game “Maple Story” also will be in a drama.
Shimada Haruka getting mentions from Maeda Atsuko and received a birthday card from Oshima Yuko.
I came to realization after discussing this Oshimen Quest concept with David and Dae this week during podcast EP 77 that this may not help in picking my oshimen. Dae made a great point that he picked his oshimen early. Kind of like picking your favorite sports team based on geography or for whatever reason.
This concludes Chapter 1 of Oshimen Quest. I’d like to hear feedback from the New School Kaidan community and let me know if I’m missing out on some stuff. It doesn’t have to be new, it can be older content as well. Leave comments and feedback and hit me up on twitter @ www.twitter.com/yoshizumitime